This position will lead the strategic development and delivery of all multi-channel communications designed to highlight Marketing, Channel, and Operations initiatives and programs. More specifically, this role will own, develop and deliver effective communication solutions designed to drive specific action and outcomes relative to key organizational initiatives and programs with associates at all levels to achieve superior results for U.S. Cellular®. This role will be responsible for the creation, development and effective use of communication vehicles customized to the channel needs.
This role will consult with business owners throughout the organization resulting in the refinement and editing of all content for leaders and associates based on varying priorities/communications already in queue, ensuring highly effective design and delivery.
The Communications Manager will define an overarching communication strategy that manages associate touch points, coordinates emergency communications and dramatically improves the readability and relevance of all written communications by communicating in a consistent tone of voice. These efforts will lead to greater understanding and application of critical customer-impacting information for frontline associates, resulting in an improved customer experience. Included in this strategy is the design and support of a web site that serves as a central landing page with specific sites to support local centers and related content.
Develops, reviews, edits, coordinates or publishes the implementation of strategic and operational communication initiatives for the frontline organization. Promotes consistency, excellence, and provides a focus on supporting the values and behaviors of U.S. Cellular’s Dynamic Organization. Oversees support provided to the frontline for new product/service launches to drive consistency in communications development, distribution, and delivery.
Other Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Owns communication processes and communication process development for all of Channels and as assigned creates customized content and process for the channel in which they serve.
- Develops strategic communications plans for functional projects and strategic initiatives.
- Develops, edits, or contributes to strategic communications plans around major enterprise initiatives that impact the Frontline Organization.
- Oversees day-to-day operations of specific year-round communications programs including the operational content of the channels in which they serve.
- Develops specific channelized content and vehicles to best serve the channels in which they serve which may encompasses authorship of specific content for customer service and/or sales positioning
- Builds, fosters, and maintains working knowledge of customer care and sales policies, procedures, key focus areas, and executive messaging
- Work closely with company senior executive level officers on strategic communication planning.
- Approves and creates communications content distributed to frontline associates and leaders.
- Identifies opportunities to drive the Dynamic Organization, support organizational initiatives and develop communication materials and programs to promote and publicize these activities.
- Facilitates cross-functional relationships between MSCO and other departments such as Public Relations, Marketing, IS, EPM, HR, and Frontline Leaders to ensure consistent message delivery both in content and format.
- Builds and fosters a solid working relationship and partnership with other departments to stay informed and abreast of new initiatives, products, and services.
- Responsible for the knowledge, feedback, and continuous improvement of the communication vehicles of the channels
- Ensures that the Dynamic Organization Values and Behaviors, as well as Customer Service Vision and Mission, are represented throughout communications materials.
- Manages content development and administration of Field Support intranet websites and/or communication vehicles.
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent experience required. Preferred majors include Journalism, Public Relations, Communications or English. Graduate degree is preferred.
- Minimum of 7 years of either internal communications or corporate/agency experience,
- preferably working in the wireless industry,
- 2-4 years of leadership experience preferred with either direct or indirect reports; an ability to lead, inspire coach and motivate a team
- Ability to understand, interpret, and write about strategy, goals and operations performance.
- Demonstrated written and oral communications skills; capable of succinctly and clearly communicating to all levels of the organization (from Frontline to Executive).
- Ability to follow through on assigned tasks with limited supervision; high degree of autonomy and initiative..
- Demonstrated track record of strong problem-solving skills applied successfully to complex projects. Creative problem solver who can choose and/or create appropriate solutions to unique problems; responsible for modifying existing approaches and developing new solutions.
- Outstanding attention to detail and ability to edit/proofread.
- Able to complete multiple tasks and high volume of work under tight timelines.
- Excellent time management and organizational skills; project management skills preferred.
- Strong interpersonal skills and a consultative approach to business; ability to work well with people by building alliances and collaborating cross functionally
- Customer service/Sales and associate support focus.
- Internal U.S. Cellular® experience a plus
- Flexibility and change leadership
- Desktop proficiency in Microsoft, including Windows, Office, and Publisher.
- Content Management experience preferred
- Proficient with basic web application designing software
- Travel as required, approximately 10-15%
U.S. Cellular® is an EEO employer and gives consideration to qualified applicants without regard to race/color/age/religion/sex/sexual orientation/gender identity/national origin/disability/veteran status, pregnancy or genetic information.