Here are just a few tips that will help organize and promote your skills and performance capabilities in today's corporate environment.
Planning for Transition
- Begin developing a strategic transition plan at least 90 days before completing your service
- Identify industries and roles that align with your strengths and experience
- Leverage on-base or online transition resources like ACAP or TAP transition sessions, employer roundtables and recruitment events
Building your Networking Group
- Join professional groups related to your field
- Create a presence in social networks such as LinkedIn
- Volunteer in your community—you never know who you'll meet
Networking the Room
- Know your audience—review or research the attendee lists
- Have "conversation starters"
- Articulate your interests and goals in order to sell your abilities (your "10-second commercial")
- Stay engaged with your network and follow-up